Last week, the PS 373R Speech department presented a terrific iPad workshop for parents of children with special needs. Following is a list of apps to use with your iPad.
A recommended reading resource is: Apps for Autism: An Essential Guide to Over 200 Effective Apps for Improving Communication, Behavior, Social Skills, and More! by Lois Jean Brady
- Tell a Story with Tommy: Community Sequences – By Listen, Talk, Draw, LLC $2.99 The community sequence set was developed by a Speech/Language Pathologist to provide concrete visual prompts for students who have a language disorder. The sequence set develops vocabulary, grammar, story telling, sequencing, and more using real situations therefore it will stimulate language development for all children.
The application begins with a story. You have the option to have the story read to you or you can read the text yourself. Then, you place the four sequences in the correct order to win the game. There is also an option to turn off the text so that your child can make up their own story.
This application has corresponding sequence cards that are available for purchase from http://www.listentalkdraw.com. Also visit our blog on this website for additional language building ideas.
- Tell a Story with Tommy: School Sequences – by Listen. Talk. Draw, LLC $2.99The school sequence set was developed by a Speech/Language Pathologist to provide concrete visual prompts for students who have a language disorder. The sequence set develops vocabulary, grammar, story telling, sequencing, and more using real situations therefore it will stimulate language development for all children.
- Model Me Going Places 2 – by Model Me Kids, LLC FREE Model Me Going Places™ for the iPad is a great visual teaching tool for helping your child learn to navigate challenging locations in the community. Each location contains a photo slideshow of children modeling appropriate behavior. LOCATIONS:- Hairdresser- Mall- Doctor- Playground- Grocery Store- Restaurant.
- Social Skills Sampler HD (FREE) & Everyday Social Skills HD ($1.99) by the Conover Company (for Pre-Teen and Teen students) This sampler includes 62 of the most common topics in the Functional Social Skills System. Included in the program are the topics of meeting/greeting people, taking responsibility, being polite and courteous, joining others in groups, apologizing/excusing self, following directions and handling criticism.
- iTouchiLearn Life Skills: Morning Routines for Preschool Kids by Staytoooned – FREEImmerse your child into the virtual world of morning routines. Each routine contains a unique activity that must be completed to move on to the next routine. After successfully completing each morning routine, players receive star rewards and play in the rewards play space.
- Social Skills Builder by Social Skill Builder, Inc. – FREE Social Skill Builder’s series of innovative software programs use interactive videos to teach key social thinking, language and behavior that are critical to everyday living. This award-winning software helps kids learn and continue to build the skills of:★ Problem Solving ★ Friendship/Life Skills ★Critical Thinking ★Emotions ★ Consequences
- ConversationBuilder by Mobile EducationTools ConversationBuilder™ ($9.99) is designed to help elementary aged children learn how to have multi-exchange conversations with their peers in a variety of social settings.
The auditory pattern of conversation is presented in a visual format to help students recognize and master the flow of conversation. Students will learn when it is appropriate to introduce themselves, ask questions, make observations and change the subject of the conversation.
Being able to converse with peers is the cornerstone of developing relationships, and ConversationBuilder™ promotes development of this skill that so many elementary aged children struggle with in a fun and engaging way.
- Social Skills By MDR ($3.99) Social Skills (S2L) offers parents and educators the ability to interact with six social narratives (broken into 2 levels which give a total possible of 12 social narratives) designed to help individuals improve their social ability. With Social Skills (S2L), the stories contain targeted instruction in the following core areas: Joint Attention; Non-Verbal Communication; Greetings; Structured game play; Turn Taking; Classroom rules; and Imitation.
In addition to using the specific content, users can modify the stories by adding different photos, text, as well as audio. The end results allows for the individual to look at a social photo, touch the picture for audio, and continue onto the next page!
- Pictello by AssistiveWare ($18.99) Pictello is a simple way to create talking photo albums and talking books. Each page in a Pictello Story can contain a picture, up to five lines of text, and a recorded sound or text-to-speech using high-quality voices. Stories can be shared using iTunes File Sharing or via WiFi with other Pictello users through a free account on the Pictello Sharing Server. Stories can be shared with non-Pictello users as PDF files through email or iTunes File Sharing.
Pictello is developed for all ages and skill levels, so it is easy to use and requires no reading skills to locate and read stories. Pictello offers an easy visual story creation wizard so everyone can use pictures and sound to share important moments in their lives. An advanced editor gives full control of the editing capabilities.
- StoryKit by ICDL FoundationView (FREE) Create an electronic storybook. Make use of the little gaps in life – on the sofa after dinner, in the back seat of the car, or on a train – to do something creative together.
To create your story:
* Write some text.* Illustrate by drawing on the screen, taking a photograph of something you see, or drawing on paper and then photographing the paper, or attaching photos from your album.
* Sounds can be recorded for telling your story or as sound effects.
* Layout the elements of your story (text boxes, images, and sound clips) freely by dragging them or pinching to resize.
* Add, reorder, or delete pages from your book.
- Fun With Directions by Hamaguchi – Apps for Speech Language & Auditory Development ($.99) Fun with Directions Lite is a ground-breaking app, designed to provide a fun and engaging way to practice listening, following directions, working memory and the auditory processing of language. From the simplest of directions (“Touch the cat”) to the more complex (“Give the boy without a hat or glasses, something round that grows on trees and can be red or green.”) your child can grow and learn with this game over time. Colorful, vivid art and animations against a white background combine to create a complete game experience without visual clutter. Sound effects and surprises keep the game engaging! This app is a great choice for a toddler/preschooler, or any young child who would like to practice listening to or reading directions!
- My PlayHome By Shimon Young ($3.99) My PlayHome is the original and best dolls house app. Massively interactive, your kids can explore and use everything in the house. The characters eat, sleep, shower, brush their teeth and more. Want the room to be darker? Close the drapes! Fancy a change in music? Pop a different CD into the stereo!
No other doll house app comes close in interactivity, detail, ease of use and just plain fun!
- Pizza Maker by Sunstorm Interactive (FREE) – You made sundaes, cakes, and breakfast foods, and now- Pizza Maker is here! Whip up any pizza you want-from a three cheese to a supreme combination! You can even create a yummy dessert pizza topped with fruits or chocolates!
The free version of Pizza Maker includes a sampling of items. Each time you go the ‘eat pizza’ page, you’ll be presented with an advertisement. If you want more items and no advertisements, simply purchase ‘Master Pizza Maker’ from the Grocery Store to unlock a full pizza parlor.
- Cake Doodle By Shoe the Goose (FREE) Need a cake in a hurry for that special occasion? Love to decorate cakes, but hate the dirty pans, messy counters and hot kitchen? Cake Doodle is the answer!
Crack the eggs, shake the salt, pour in the liquids, squeeze the lemon, mash the bananas, sift the flour, and toss in the dry ingredients. Blend the batter and bake your cake in our super fast oven. No need to wait for the cake to cool before icing and decorating it.
Eat the cake yourself when you’re done or save it to your photo album. Surprise your friends with a customized cake e-mailed to them on their special day.