- HEAP Funding Assistance For Air Conditioners
- HEAP Regular Benefit
- HEAP Emergency Benefit
- Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement
HEAP Funding Assistance For Air Conditioners
Assistance is available for low-income New Yorkers whose health issues pose a medical emergency during the summer. The cooling program is administered by NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) with funding provided from the federal Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) funds, through the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA).
Eligibility for the program is determined by:
- LIHEAP low-income guidelines. (For a four-person household, the maximum gross annual income to qualify is approximately $48,000.)
- Having at least one household member who has been diagnosed with a chronic or acute medical condition which is aggravated by exposure to extreme heat situations/
- A doctor providing written documentation (dated within the last six months) that air-conditioning assistance is critical to prevent a heat emergency.
Households that have a working air conditioner or have received one from the State in the last 10 years are not eligible.
Please contact the cooling vendor for your county for more information.