8th Annual West Side County Fair
Saturday, September 12, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
With host Stephanie Monseau of the Bindlestiff’s Family Cirkus and Stilt Walkers, Clowns, Jugglers, and more from Bindlestiff’s Family Cirkus and the House of Yes!
Enjoy a little country right here in Manhattan and celebrate the change of seasons with carnival rides and games, music, square dancing, sideshow performers, a petting zoo, greenmarket and more! Visit the “Green Acre” environmental corner, with hands-on activities for kids about environmental awareness, green living, and the “Animal Area” where you can meet some new friends!
1-1:15 p.m. ORAN ETKIN’s RAG THREE
*(with an additional set on the GREEN ACRE until 2:30 p.m.)
1:20-2:20 p.m. TIN PAN
2:30-3:30 p.m. HILLARY HAWKE
3:40-4:40 p.m. GOLDEN ANGEL WALTZ ORCHESTRA
4:55-6:00 p.m. MISS TESS AND THE BON TON PARADE
Fair Games (ring toss, bottle knock down, and more) with prizes, a mini Ferris Wheel, multiple tot bouncers and more!
Lincoln Square Business Improvement District
NYC Compost Project in Manhattan
GrowNYC (formerly Council on the Environment of NYC)
TheNewNew, the Etsy New York street team
Museum of Motherhood
This year’s ANIMAL AREA is sponsored by PETCO! Come by and say “Thank you!”
Riverside Park South is located on the Hudson River between 59th to 72nd Streets (enter park at 72nd or 68th Street).
For more information, call 311
Subject: FW: SUNY ATTAIN Lab free Microsoft class open to all!
The South Beach lab (Housing Authority Community Center,155 Norway Ave, Staten Island, N.Y. 10305 – (718) 447-0704) has opened up the Microsoft certification classes to all interested adults looking to get their Word 2007 certificate. The classes are free and will meet at 10am Mon/Wed/Fri.
Additionally, there will be a Digital Literacy class on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Both classes start from Wednesday September 1st. We encourage participants to come by the lab to register before classes start.
SUPPORT GROUP FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN & ADOLESCENTS This peer-run self-help group offers support and practical information in a welcoming environment. Participants can share their experiences and learn coping strategies from fellow parents. This meeting is facilitated by Mary Ann Cerón, Nancy Parker, and Deniece Chi, all parents of children with mental health needs. Lunch is provided.
- Dates: First and third Saturday of the month (August 7 & 21)
- Time: 12:30 to 2:30 pm
- Location: NAMI-NYC Metro – 505 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1103 at 35th Street
NAMI CONNECTION NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for people living with mental illness. Participants can learn from each others’ experiences, share coping strategies, and offer each other encouragement and understanding. All groups are free of charge, meet weekly for 90 minutes, and are led by trained individuals who understand the challenges mental health consumers face.
- Date: Saturday, August 7
- Time: 3:30 – 5 pm
- Location: NAMI-NYC Metro Office – 505 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1103 at 35th Street
There are two free workshops being offered for families of children with Autism through the NY State Institute for Basic Research in August 2010 and September 2010. They are as follows:
- Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:30 -7:30 p.m. “How to Teach Pill Swallowing to Children with Autism” Presented by J. Helen Yoo, Ph.D., BCBA-D Research Scientist Head, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Laboratory COST: FREE ~ LOCATION: NY State Institute for Basic Research (IBR) 1050 Forest Hill Road, Staten Island, NY 10314 RSVP (718) 494-4880 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, September 27, 2010 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. “How to Manage Food Refusal and Selectivity in Children with Autism” Presented by J. Helen Yoo, Ph.D., BCBA-D Research Scientist Head, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Laboratory COST: FREE ~ LOCATION: NY State Institute for Basic Research (IBR) 1050 Forest Hill Road, Staten Island, NY 10314 RSVP (718) 494-4880