Forest Fairytales – Saturday, March 6, 2010 @ 1pm: Hear stories of the wonders of the forest as we prepare to “spring ahead”. Weather permitting; we will take a short exploration of the forest in search of tree buds and other signs of spring. This free program at the Greenbelt Nature Center is suitable for ages 2-6. Older siblings are welcome. Registration required. Call (718)351-3450.
Saturday, March 6
• Benefit Concert. Snug Harbor Music Hall. 718-727-1135 • 8pm. A special concert to benefit the SI Museum at Snug Harbor’s historic Music Hall by singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson.
• Young Scientists. Clay Pit Ponds. 718-605-3970 • 10-11am • Ages 8-12. Different science-related topics monthly. Prereg.
• Migration Sensation. Richmondtown Library. 718-668-0413 • 2pm • Ages 4 – 10. Discover the importance of wetlands through poetry, songs & games.
• Hike. High Rock Park – Urban Park Rangers.718-967-3542 • 11am
• Moses Mountain.Winter Waterfowl. Clove Lakes Park – Urban Park Rangers. 718-967-3542 • 2pm. Look for the beautiful birds at the park.
• Onlion Time. Richmondtown Library. 718-668-0413 • 4pm • Ages 5+. Special tech-time for kids.
FrogWatch USA:Citizen Science Sunday, March 7, 2010 @ 2 pm: FrogWatch USA is a frog and toad monitoring program that gives YOU the opportunity to help scientists conserve amphibians. Learn to recognize distinct voices among the chorus of frog and toad calls. This program will be held at the High Rock Park Environmental Education Center, 200 Nevada Avenue (off Rockland Ave.). Registration required. Free program. Call (718)351-3450.
FREE St. Patrick’s Day Parade – West Brighton, Staten Island Sunday, March 7, 2010 from 12:30 PM until 4:30 PM. Step-off 12:30 PM from Hart Blvd & Forest Ave The 46th Annual Staten Island St. Patrick’s Day Parade – Boy & Girl scouts parade along with bagpipes, step dancers and bands.
Sunday, March 7
• Winter Tree ID. Clove Lakes Park – Urban Park Rangers. 718-967-3542 • 11am. How to identify a tree with no leaves, flowers or fruit.
• Winter Survival. Blue Heron Park- Urban Park Rangers. 718-967-3542 • 2pm. How to build a shelter and more.
• Frog Watch USA: Citizen Science. High Rock Park – Envionmental Educ. Ctr. 718-351-3450 • 2pm. Free. Prereg.
• Reading: To Kill A Mockingbird. Historic Richmondtown. 718-351-1611 • 3pm. Read by SI OutLOUD