Family Fun Things to Do on Staten Island, May 2 & 3, 2009 – www.statenislandparent.com
Saturday, May 2
• The Carousel Opening Day. 10th season for The Carousel for All Children at Willowbrook Park, Eton Place. Greenbelt Conservancy, 718-477-0605
• Learn to Ride a Bike. A safe, easy & effective way to learn to ride. Ages 5+. Free. 10am. Prereg. Midland Beach
(Fr. Capodanno Blvd. & Hunter Ave). Bike NY. Cromwell Center, 718-816-6172
• Teddy Bear/Webkinz Clinic. How the zoo cares for real animals & is put back together as good as new. 1:30pm.
SI Zoo, 718-442-3101
• Kids Workshop: Wheel Barrow Planter. Do-it-yourself skills & tool safety. 9am. Ages 5-12. Free. Home Depot.
Info at http://www.siparent.com
• Let’s Fly a Kite. Build your own kite & launch it from the historic airfield. Families & children of all ages welcome. 12pm. Prereg. Bldg. 26, GNRA, Miller Field, Ranger Station, 718-351-6970
• Doggie Day. Calling all dog lovers. Enjoy the great outdoors. 1pm. UPR. Blue Heron Park,718-967-3542
• Birding with Friends of Blue Heron:
Clove Lakes Park. Look for spring migrants. All ages. 8am. 718-317-1732
• Spring Fling. Treasures old & new, plants, books, baked goods, 50/50 & more. A great day for treasuring hunting. 9am. Church of the Ascension, 718-442-4187
• Days Afield. A strolling reading & a personal tour of NYC’s newest & biggest park – Fresh Kills Park. 12:30pm. Staten Island OutLOUD, 212-788-8277
• Concert. A great night of music. Musical Chairs Chamber Ensemble Concert. 8pm. SI Museum, 718-907-3488
• Cinco De Mayo Festival. An authentic street festival celebrating the music, dance, foodways & folklore of SI’s Mexican community. Faber Park. 3pm. Free. COAHSI, 718-447-3329
• Plant Sale. Carl Grillo Glass House. 10am. Snug Harbor Botanical Gdn, 718-448-2500
• Mayfest: Target First Saturdays. Music, film & performance, hands-on art, dance party & much more. 5pm. Brooklyn Museum, 718-501-6330
Sunday, May 3
• Mother’s Day. Special guided tour. Mom free w/paying child. Historic Richmondtown, 718-351-1611.
• Annual wildflower week. Ferns & other native wildflowers. Ages 6+ w/caregiver. Free. 12pm. Greenbelt, 718-351-3450
• Breakfast with the Beasts. Tour of the animal kitchen; help prepare food for critters & meet animals close up. Ages 5+. 8:30am. Prereg. SI Zoo, 718-442-3101
• Canoeing the Creek. The tidal waters of Lemon Creek. Prereg. 10am & 1pm.
• Nature with Kathy: Accordion Books on Spring. Ages 4-8. 11am. Prereg. Blue Heron Park, 917-596-4198
• Natural Science Club: Make a Simple Weather Station. Observations & use of simple instruments used to judge changes in weather. Ages 8-12. 2pm. Blue Heron Park, 718-967-3542
• Animal of the Month Club: Rascally Rabbits. Learn new facts & then search for rabbits in the Preserve. Ages 5+. 1pm.
Free. Prereg. Clay Pit Ponds, 718-967-1976
• Yankee Peddler Day. Over 150 vendors will gather for a flea market; antiques, crafts, collectibles, Mother’s Day gifts & much more. 10am. Historic Richmondtown, 718-351-1611
• Zoo Crew Recruitment. Interested in helping with special events, education or administrative, call the SI Zoo, 718-442-3101
• Children’s Fashion Show. Chance to win gift baskets, lunch will be served. 12:30pm. Temple Israel, 718-227-2231
• Flower and Plant Sale. 9:30am. Temple Israel, 718-727-2231
• 5 Boro Bike Tour. http://www.bikenewyork.org